Tuesday, June 2, 2015

An Experiment To Try Over the Summer

This story was written by my Uncle Dick’s sister, Jacque Rowland.  She has used her curiosity to learn many things throughout her 89 years. It’s an important quality she hopes to encourage in children everywhere. She has written countless poems, stories and science experiments for children. She currently resides in Scott’s Valley, CA.  

The Science Experiment

By Jaqueline Rowland


 My big brother, Dick, four years older than I, seemed like a brother, father and good friend from the time I was very little.  He was always there for good advice and counsel, at an early age. My life was enriched by him, and he widened my horizons.  He had a sharp and questioning mind, and was curious about the world around him.  When he was very young, his favorite word was,“Why?"  I was fortunate to have him, and to learn more about the world in general, and my own neighborhood. Mother never worried about where I went as long as Dick was there beside me.

There were many vacant lots all over, in my neighborhood. We were living during the Great Depression, which meant that a good many people didn't have the money to build a house or buy a lot to build it on. There was a big vacant lot just behind our house, but we needed two vacant lots -- side by side,  Dick's science experiment we would do this afternoon.

Last week Dick had asked Mom for the empty baking powder can, she just emptied.  He already had another one.

"Goody, Mom, I can use that can.  I just need a hammer and nails.  I already have the ball of string.
You can help me, Jacque.  "

I watched Dick take a hammer and a nail and make a small hole in one end of the can.  Then he threaded a long, long string through one end and made a knot.  He took off the lid of the can on the other end and laid it aside.

"This will be the telephone I talk into, Jacque.  You hold the receiver.  "

I held the other red baking powder can, and he did the same thing with hammer and nail.
          
"Why such a long, long string-- between the two cans,” I asked.
          
"You'll see,” he said with a smile.
          
Dick and I soon headed out the back door, down the alley and I knew we were scouting for two vacant lots, but Dick had already looked around the neighborhood and found the two he'd need.  We soon came to them.

"I'll stand in this lot and you go to the very end of the other lot, “Dick told me, " and when you talk into this can, you don't have to shout or speak very loud-- but you have to hold the string just as tightly as you can.  "

I followed his instructions. When he raised his left hand, I knew I was to start speaking.
         
"Hello Dick,” I began speaking softly."  Our phones don't have a number.  I'm happy the sun is shining and that we aren't playing baseball.  Can you hear me okay?  I'm pulling the string just as tight as I can."

"I can hear you just fine.  See our little cans are working out.  This is fun.  I'm glad. "

So the experiment worked! Have you ever made a telephone like this? Do you know how it worked? This would be a great experiment to try over the summer when you have time on your hands and you want to use a little curiosity. You might even ask Dick’s question, “Why?

This story will be included in a forthcoming book, Grandma and Me Stories by Olive Leaf Publications. All rights are reserved. 





No comments:

Post a Comment